Tuesday, May 02, 2006
Insomnia, Worry and a Very Bad Man
I stayed home from work yesterday. I told them I had a migraine, but the truth is I just didn't sleep well the night before and all I wanted when the alarm went off at 5:23 was at least another night's rest. Something woke me at 1:55 a.m. and, after realizing that the alarm clock had become mysteriously unplugged, and, after much cursing and swearing and getting up to pee, I. just. could. not. get. back. to. sleep. Here are some of the many things that were running through my mind (and preventing my beauty sleep):

  • I have to make cardboard guitars for our Guide meeting on Tuesday. Where do I get eleventy-million tons of cardboard by tomorrow? For really cheap?

  • When am I going to find the time between now (Sunday night) and Tuesday at 6:00 p.m. to cut out 18 cardboard guitars?

  • Should we paint the guitars or colour them with markers?

  • When are we going to sell the 40 extra cases of Girl Guide cookies sitting in my co-leader's living room. (Anybody want some GG cookies? $4.00 a box!)

  • Maybe I should just quit Girl Guides and let someone else deal with it. No, silly. You love Guiding. You're just tired.

  • But why did I agree to making guitars? Out of cardboard? For 18 girls?

So...I took the day off and got some extra rest. I solved the guitar problem by going out into my backyard and discovering (among the sh*t-load of junk piled up waiting to go to the dump) a pile of cardboard left over from our bathroom renovation. I sliced and diced, with my box cutter, 18 cardboard guitars (and lived to tell the tale...no missing limbs!) And, I spent my remaining birthday money on flowers...cause nothing picks me up better than a little gardening.

Because I was feeling much, much better by this point I decided to walk up to the school and pick up Bella and Budgie. Imagine my surprise at seeing my son walk out of school with his middle-upper lip coloured with black Sharpie marker. Apparently, he got bored in the afternoon with everything else going on...oh like, I don't know, education and decided to colour his face. With black Sharpie marker! That would not come off!

So, yes, I was that Mom in PoCo yesterday, walking the young Fuhrer home for a wash....and a long, age-appropriate, talk about history and politics....


Desperate to be a Housewife

Time until I'm back with my family: 4 hours, 58 minutes

Laundry List: gardening gloves, white face-cloth with black smudges


footer2.JPG